Medication Access Consortium
Public policy matters to people living with movement disorders and their loved ones.
What is the Medication Access Consortium?
In 2022, PMD Alliance launched the Movement Disorder Policy Panel to address access and affordability issues as they relate to medications and therapies for movement disorders. As we explored and learned about community needs through a survey and extensive conversations across the Movement Disorder & Care Ecosystem©, three main pain points arose:
- A need for new and improved therapies
- Challenges in access to medications, including navigating cost
- A diverse set of roadblocks prescribers and patients face when utilizing new medications
To address these pain points, PMD Alliance is continuing the work founded in the Policy Panel by launching the Medication Access Consortium. The goal of the Consortium is to provide an opportunity for change at the grassroots level by activating and broadening access to medication through:
- PBM and formulary coverage advocacy. We will monitor PBM and coverage changes that restrict or deny access to medications, actively engaging in advocacy campaigns to impact PBM and formulary changes, engaging various members of the ecosystem to share stories and pain points, and providing a forum for members of the ecosystem to share information about these changes in real time.
- Medication assistance access & system navigation. We will provide education to people impacted by movement disorders about available financial support, navigating insurance and product support channels, as well as provide tips and tools to prescribers to reduce barriers to prescribing.
Go deeper: Read a summary of the findings from the Medication Access Survey.
Go deeper: Read PMD Alliance’s public announcement of the Medication Access Consortium.
Thank you to our founding partners: